What skis make you schwing?
Let Mikey Ski It!
2003-09-22 13:13:22 UTC
I need some new sticks and will be looking to buy once rock season starts
to fade. With the seemingly ever increasing choices, what new boards do you
all have your eyes on? My skiing preferences are no-bumps, un-tracked pow
or crud. Smoothed pack when I can not find the untracked.

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Kurt Knisely
2003-09-22 14:57:31 UTC
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
I need some new sticks and will be looking to buy once rock season starts
to fade. With the seemingly ever increasing choices, what new boards do you
all have your eyes on? My skiing preferences are no-bumps, un-tracked pow
or crud. Smoothed pack when I can not find the untracked.
Why not go with the Volkl Vertigo CMH Edition?
(goin' to the GWN this winter?)

Otherwise, I bet you'd like this setup:
http://www.voile-usa.com/skis/carbonsurf.html in about a 178
&
http://www.bdel.com/gear/backcountry/freeride.php

Since Tua is gone now, I'd go w/ a new MtnSurf (Carbonsurf).
(when is that "spooning" contest?)

-K
Let Mikey Ski It!
2003-09-24 04:05:18 UTC
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/fall02/volkls.jpg
http://www.voile-usa.com/skis/carbonsurf.html in about a 178
&
http://www.bdel.com/gear/backcountry/freeride.php
Since Tua is gone now, I'd go w/ a new MtnSurf (Carbonsurf).
There oughta be a law.
Post by Kurt Knisely
(when is that "spooning" contest?)
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
(goin' to the GWN this winter?)
Yes. Cat skiing near Silverton (we'll post our tentative plans offline).
And, yes.

Mike...

Carpe powder-diem
Kurt Knisely
2003-09-24 14:05:04 UTC
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
Post by Kurt Knisely
http://www.voile-usa.com/skis/carbonsurf.html in about a 178
Since Tua is gone now, I'd go w/ a new MtnSurf (Carbonsurf).
There oughta be a law.
Honestly, (for once), I think you'd like the Voile Carbonsurfs. The price isn't
too bad, and really they are not that "light", but probably lighter than your
average heavy alpine ski. I've seen a number of satisfied alpine skiers on
those boards. Those Fershitzie AT bindings from BD have a DIN of 12 and fit
normal alpine boots. I think Russ and Bob have some--ask them.
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
Post by Kurt Knisely
(when is that "spooning" contest?)
Yes. Cat skiing near Silverton (we'll post our tentative plans offline).
Maybe we can get Mr. Lee and the boyz in NM to join in? I'm not planning any
big ski trips this season, but plan on taking a number of long weekends.

-K
Bob Lee
2003-09-24 14:44:42 UTC
Post by Kurt Knisely
... Cat skiing near Silverton (we'll post our tentative plans offline).
Maybe we can get Mr. Lee and the boyz in NM to join in? I'm not planning any
big ski trips this season, but plan on taking a number of long weekends.
I'm on it.

Bob
Richard Walsh
2003-09-25 10:40:20 UTC
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
I need some new sticks and will be looking to buy once rock season
starts to fade. With the seemingly ever increasing choices, what new
boards do you all have your eyes on? My skiing preferences are no-bumps,
un-tracked pow or crud. Smoothed pack when I can not find the untracked.
Mike...
--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Mikey, man,
you gotta get a pair of those Volant Spatulas.
You know, reverse camber, fatter in the waist
than tip and tail. Might make you even better in
those Powder8 competitions.

RW
Bob Lee
2003-09-25 13:54:13 UTC
Post by Richard Walsh
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
I need some new sticks and will be looking to buy once rock season
starts to fade. With the seemingly ever increasing choices, what new
boards do you all have your eyes on? My skiing preferences are no-bumps,
un-tracked pow or crud. Smoothed pack when I can not find the untracked.
Mike...
--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Mikey, man,
you gotta get a pair of those Volant Spatulas.
You know, reverse camber, fatter in the waist
than tip and tail. Might make you even better in
those Powder8 competitions.
Skidding - it's the new carving.

Bob
bdubya
2003-09-25 15:03:38 UTC
Post by Richard Walsh
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
I need some new sticks and will be looking to buy once rock season
starts to fade. With the seemingly ever increasing choices, what new
boards do you all have your eyes on? My skiing preferences are no-bumps,
un-tracked pow or crud. Smoothed pack when I can not find the untracked.
Mike...
--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Mikey, man,
you gotta get a pair of those Volant Spatulas.
You know, reverse camber, fatter in the waist
than tip and tail. Might make you even better in
those Powder8 competitions.
I wasn't going to be the first to bring those up...First I heard of
them (small magazine piece last spring), I figgered it was a prank.
Now I'm thinking it's a much more elaborate prank. Do they come with a
disclaimer, like "do NOT attempt to ski these anywhere but in fresh
powder"?

bw
Richard Walsh
2003-09-29 11:22:40 UTC
Post by bdubya
Post by Richard Walsh
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
[...]
About a thousand years ago, mid-late 60's to be much more precise,
some folks at Killington came up with a great new idea for skis.

Barrel staves.

Yep, you got it, real, oak barrel staves.

As they got into it further, the barrel staves had p-tex
bases and steel edges.

In the days before the Canyon Quad and Downdraft and
Double Dipper, there was GREAT woods skiing in the canyon
between East Fall and Cascade, since mucked up by cutting
wide, snow-making, groomed trails. Well, Downdraft can
still be hairy. It's where the patrol is checked out for
ability to handle sleds.

Anyway I digress. The barrel staves. Not only did they have
reverse camber and were wider in the middle than at the
ends, they had a completely convex bottom. Got the picture?

Here in the east they sufficed for powder days but I think
they may have been a little short for the western mountains,
around 80cm I think. But a little longer, maybe....

My mention of the tree skiing area between East Fall and
Cascade was to not that this area had been very well
traveled on barrel staves by many folks, including the
pres of Killington, Pres Smith.

A point of trivia. Does anyone besides me remember what
the area between East Fall and Cascade was called? and
who were these two lines (that'a hint) named for?

Back to the barrel staves again, I never skied them, they
scared the daylights out of me, but you can see pictures
of people on them in the book, "Of Men and Mountains, the
Story of Killington" by Karen Lorenz.

RW
NE-skier
2003-10-04 05:55:01 UTC
Post by Richard Walsh
My mention of the tree skiing area between East Fall and
Cascade was to not that this area had been very well
traveled on barrel staves by many folks, including the
pres of Killington, Pres Smith.
A point of trivia. Does anyone besides me remember what
the area between East Fall and Cascade was called? and
who were these two lines (that'a hint) named for?
Is it "Toilet Bowl", or is that further to the right (looking up the
mtn)?
Richard Walsh
2003-10-04 19:20:44 UTC
Post by NE-skier
Post by Richard Walsh
My mention of the tree skiing area between East Fall and
Cascade was to not that this area had been very well
traveled on barrel staves by many folks, including the
pres of Killington, Pres Smith.
A point of trivia. Does anyone besides me remember what
the area between East Fall and Cascade was called? and
who were these two lines (that'a hint) named for?
Is it "Toilet Bowl", or is that further to the right (looking up the
mtn)?
Further left, Toilet Bowl is between EFall & RoyalFlush,
The area is now called Downdraft, DoubleDipper, & Dipper
Woods. (Hint) the old name was for actual people at K
at that time.
NE-skier
2003-10-30 14:17:24 UTC
Post by Richard Walsh
Post by NE-skier
Post by Richard Walsh
My mention of the tree skiing area between East Fall and
Cascade was to not that this area had been very well
traveled on barrel staves by many folks, including the
pres of Killington, Pres Smith.
A point of trivia. Does anyone besides me remember what
the area between East Fall and Cascade was called? and
who were these two lines (that'a hint) named for?
Is it "Toilet Bowl", or is that further to the right (looking up the
mtn)?
Further left, Toilet Bowl is between EFall & RoyalFlush,
The area is now called Downdraft, DoubleDipper, & Dipper
Woods. (Hint) the old name was for actual people at K
at that time.
It looks like no one knows.

Ya gonna tell us the answer?
Richard Walsh
2003-10-30 19:48:17 UTC
Post by NE-skier
Post by Richard Walsh
Post by NE-skier
Post by Richard Walsh
My mention of the tree skiing area between East Fall and
Cascade was to not that this area had been very well
traveled on barrel staves by many folks, including the
pres of Killington, Pres Smith.
A point of trivia. Does anyone besides me remember what
the area between East Fall and Cascade was called? and
who were these two lines (that'a hint) named for?
Is it "Toilet Bowl", or is that further to the right (looking up the
mtn)?
Further left, Toilet Bowl is between EFall & RoyalFlush,
The area is now called Downdraft, DoubleDipper, & Dipper
Woods. (Hint) the old name was for actual people at K
at that time.
It looks like no one knows.
Ya gonna tell us the answer?
Oh, sure,
The lines (not properly trails) were
Paul's Peril and Pres's Delight.

Paul was Paul Bosquet (remember Bosquet's in
western Massachusetts?) who was vice president
of Killington under Pres Smith in the '60's.

RW
NE-skier
2003-10-31 14:14:38 UTC
Post by Richard Walsh
Post by NE-skier
It looks like no one knows.
Ya gonna tell us the answer?
Oh, sure,
The lines (not properly trails) were
Paul's Peril and Pres's Delight.
Paul was Paul Bosquet (remember Bosquet's in
western Massachusetts?) who was vice president
of Killington under Pres Smith in the '60's.
RW
Thanks - I never knew that, but then again, I usually get up to
Killington only once every couple of years, but have been doing it for
a couple of decades now.

Speaking about this part of K-mart, over on EpicSki, two guys are
periodically dropping short but crazy mentions of Royal Flush, Toilet
Bowl, and further down the hill, Mahogany Ridge and the hellish fast
traverse over to its neighbor, Porcelain Ridge. They have mentioned
"cougar sightings" at MR, the need to eat continuously when at MR, and
other give-aways, but thus far, not a single person (other than
myself) seems to have caught on that its a joke.

Cheers & good turns this season ;)
Richard Walsh
2003-10-31 22:33:47 UTC
Post by NE-skier
Post by Richard Walsh
Post by NE-skier
[...]
Mr. NE,
would you be the same guy who had a bartending gig at
sugarbush last year? Who might have put a spank on
persons who should remain nameless?

If so, drop me an email offline using
mistypnd-at-vermontel-dot-net

It also sound like I ought to go over to Epic and put in my $0.02
worth.

BTW, I have slid down MR from time to time, and on occasion
found myself shakily at the top of Porcelain Ridge.

I also have (posted elsewhere) a picture of the quad
at Mad River Glen.

RW
NE-skier
2003-11-03 16:29:42 UTC
Post by Richard Walsh
Mr. NE,
would you be the same guy who had a bartending gig at
sugarbush last year? Who might have put a spank on
persons who should remain nameless?
Nope, 'twasn't me, and for personal reasons, I would prefer to remain
nameless myself. ;) Sorry.
Richard Walsh
2003-11-03 17:58:43 UTC
Post by NE-skier
Post by Richard Walsh
Mr. NE,
would you be the same guy who had a bartending gig at
sugarbush last year? Who might have put a spank on
persons who should remain nameless?
Nope, 'twasn't me, and for personal reasons, I would prefer to remain
nameless myself. ;) Sorry.
Sorry, you just sounded a little like someone else.

No problem remaining nameless.

However, since you are a NortheEast Skier, I am an ambassador
at Killington and maybe both of us could find it pleasant to
hook up at some point. You can always reach me at the email
addy I gave you in the original of this sub-thread.

I wasn't smart enough to get onto usenet with a pseudonym
(I used my realnym). So everybody knows me, including the
spam address harvesters. It's a little better since I'm now
using a Yahoo adress (which is real) as kind of a spam
catcher, which I rarely check. I've also started using
MailWasher lately to sift out most of the spam, It seems
to be working fairly well with almost no false positives.

I'm about ready to turn on auto-delete.

RW

ant
2003-09-30 13:52:22 UTC
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
I need some new sticks and will be looking to buy once rock season
starts to fade. With the seemingly ever increasing choices, what new
boards do you all have your eyes on? My skiing preferences are
no-bumps, un-tracked pow or crud. Smoothed pack when I can not find
the untracked.
Stockli Stormriders for that. I have some softer-flexing Easy Riders and
they are my secret weapon in fresh deep snow (we don't get powder here).
The Storms required too much speed before they'd turn nicely which wasn't
really ideal for teaching! You can get some monster fat ones too, and
there's one with special graphics especially for the US market.

ant
NE-skier
2003-09-30 17:19:58 UTC
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:13:22 CST, "Let Mikey Ski It!"
Post by Let Mikey Ski It!
I need some new sticks and will be looking to buy once rock season starts
to fade. With the seemingly ever increasing choices, what new boards do you
all have your eyes on? My skiing preferences are no-bumps, un-tracked pow
or crud. Smoothed pack when I can not find the untracked.
Mike...
Ya like to be under, in, or on top of powder?

What's wrong with good old Explosivs? They are manageable even on
rock-hard Eastern LoudPowder (TM) - I know because they were the only
other skis I had along when my narrow carvers were in the shop one
day.

If you want to float real high, what about the new Gotamas? I'll bet
you'll even get more precision in your 8's this way, but are there
rules about this in pow-8 contests?

Of course, there are always Japmo Daaps & their modern bretheren:
http://biglines.com/photos_large.php?picid=12993